Thursday, April 26, 2012

Language

Part 1:

-          In the first experiment where I could not talk, I found this fairly easy because it is easy to communicate with nodding and facial expressions.
-          My partner was my boyfriend, and I did not let him know I was even conducting an experiment. We are currently taking a class together and sit next to each other where we do try and communicate very quietly. He did not notice that I was not verbally communicating back with him this time, and it did effect him but to a certain degree. My boyfriend whispered, and talked more through the use of his hands as if he were more conscious that we were not supposed to be talking during lecture.
-          The culture that has an advantage of communicate more complex ideas would by my boyfriend because he has more tools so to speak, in getting his ideas across. Individuals in our culture that have difficulties communicating with spoken language would be a person that has impearled hearing, people suffering from mental retardation, and babies. People that do speak and try to communicate with people that have difficulty communicating with the spoken language to and compensate it with other ways of communicating like hand signals (ASL), writing, and facial expressions.   

Part 2:

-          I was not able to last the full 15 minutes without using any physical embellishment. It was difficult because using my hands and facial expressions is something that is natural and is hard to control.  
-          I have been sick for the past couple of days so I took the opportunity to test this experiment when I was lying in bed underneath my covers. My mom always like to come talk to me and see how my day went,  so to text the experiment I put all my body parts under the covers, leaving my head out at the top. My mom didn’t notice and didn’t expect anything was different but to me I couldn’t last the full 15 minutes without using any physical form of communication.
-          This experiment shows that the physical form of communication is almost as important as the spoken form.
-          Non-speaking techniques are very important in our ability to communicate effectively because it helps those who have problems using spoken communication to adapt and understand the rest of the world.
-           A person who has difficulty reading body language would be a person who is blind. The adaptive benefit of knowing the physical embellishment would be a clearer understand of who the different types of emotions might look like. It would also help the blind communicate better because they can use physical embellishments they have learned and apply them when they are communicating through spoken words.
-          I think no matter what environmental you are in; body language is always beneficial in some sort of way.

Part 3:

-          If I was able to write down what I wanted to say in class to my boyfriend, communicating with him would be easier because it would have more exact and precise in what I wanted to say exactly.
-          The advantages written language provides to a culture that develops and uses it, is that we can use it to help the future and remember the past. We teach and learn through written language which helps the current and future generations to come. As an American culture, we can write our history down so it can never be forgotten.
-          Written language has helped globalization because it has been able to bring cultures closer together because we are able to communicate and become more personal with each other.  Sometimes different cultures have difficulties communicating through language so writing substitutes in the meantime until we can come to understand learn their language or dialect.  

3 comments:

  1. i like how you said "it brings cultures closer together because we are able to communicate and become more personal with each other" thats true because when we read a book, say one thats like a diary of a young teenage girl, we can relate to her with some of what shes saying, and that brings written language and speaking language, even non-speaking language closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you spoke of language as a "tool". That is exactly correct.

    Unfortunately, your mom probably thought your lack of body language was related to your illness! It would have been interesting to try it again when you felt more animated. Usually partners taking part in this aspect of the experiment have much stronger responses.

    What if you were visiting another culture where their body language had different meanings to our own? Might it help to not pay attention to body language in those circumstances?

    Writing can bring cultures closer together, but one if one culture can't read or write, or if the cultures can read each other's languages?

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you didn't tell your boyfriend before doing the experiment! I enjoyed reading your post, and I think the change in who you did the experiments with gave a variety to the reactions you were able to talk about. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete